Saturday, January 24, 2015

Manga Review: Yume Kira Dream Shoppe



When I was in high school, I remember picking up a copy of Shoujo Beat and reading a preview of a new manga titled, "Yume Kira Dream Shoppe." I really liked the preview and so set out to obtain a copy. However, none of the bookshops I visited had a copy and neither did the library. At the time, I didn't do much  online shopping (it was still fairly new) so eventually I simply pushed it to the back of my mind. However, I recently stumbled upon it on Goodreads and decided that it was high time I read this short one volume manga.

Rin is the owner of the Yume Kira Dream Shoppe where, "...any dream can be made true in exchange for something dear to you." The manga has typical shoujo elements, however, its main message is not "love at all costs" bur rather "hope" and in each of the four short stories presented in the volume, hope does indeed take the center stage.

In the end, the reader is left wondering, "Who is Rin?" Is she really just the owner of a mystical shop in the sky? A goddess (she does answer calls that start with, "Dear God")? Or maybe a personification of the determination that lies within us ("us" referring to both animate and inanimate objects) to change our own destinies? Or perhaps I'm overthinking it, haha, but I really did love the message in this manga. While the art style was not my favorite, it was still a very cute and short read. I'm definitely buying a personal copy (I checked it out from the library xD) as it's definitely now one of my personal favorites and a manga I'm sure I will be reading many more times :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment