Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Jpop Mix: Country Girls, Itooshikutte Gomen Ne/Koi Dorobo


Making their major debut under the Hello Project! label, Country Girls is the essentially the revival of the group, "Country Musume." The original group debuted in 1999 but the group became inactive when all but 1 member left. In 2014, 6 girls were chosen to revive the group as the new Country Musume, which was to be renamed Country Girls. Their debut single was released on March 25th, 2015. 

Titled Itooshikutte Gomen Ne/Koi Dorobo (Sorry for Being Adorable / Love Thief), the single unsurprisingly, gives no "country" vibes. The name of the group does not seem to relate to their concept in any way, which was a bit disappointing for me. I would have liked to see this group release songs that I would never have seen any other Hello Project! idol group release, but I digress. The main track on this single is Itooshikutte Gomen Ne (Sorry for Being Adorable). I absolutely loved this song when it was first released. I loved the melody, I loved the talking portions and the dance is adorable. Most of the girls are quite young, so a song like this really emphasized how fresh and new they were to the scene. However, after listening to it over and over, it became stale for me.  Whaaa? Why? Getting past the excitement of this being a new group to Hello Project, I didn't find the song to be as stellar as I originally touted it was. Nevertheless, it's still a very good song and gets a solid 3.8/5 stars. 

The second title track is Koi Dorobo (Love Thief). It's a sweet love song, just like Itooshikutte Gomen Ne, but the lyrics tell the story of a girl that is determined to get the guy she likes to fall in love with her. It's definitely a fun song; both the melody and lyrics reflect this "young people in love" feel. I like the rhythm of the song, but the chorus isn't my favorite. I do like this a bit less than the main title track, but again, it's not a bad song, just not all that stellar either. I would rate this song at 3.5/5. 

Overall, Country Girls have released a pretty solid single for their debut. I would have liked to see two different styles since they did have two title tracks, but it didn't happen. Nevertheless, I like what they released but they're songs that will eventually make their way to the bottom of my iTunes. This release is a 3/5 stars. Solid, just not particularly stellar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment